- Award amounts typically range from 3 to 6 graduate credit hours.
- Applicants must be matriculated graduate MS/LIS students at the Syracuse University School of Information Studies and have successfully completed at least 18 graduate credits with a GPA of 3.75 or above.
- Awarded annually depending on available funds.
- Awards are paid directly to the Syracuse University Bursar's Office and will be applied toward tuition and related fees.
- Unlike standard educational loan programs, awards from the Florence Van Hoesen Beta Phi Mu Loan Fund have no legally binding documents, no interest accrual, and no payback schedules. However, award recipients are expected to begin contributing back to the Fund once they are established in their careers. And, as recipients’ careers progress and flourish, contributions should continue until the award amount is met or exceeded.
- Applications accepted through March 5, 2024
Dr. Florence R. Van Hoesen (1898-1979) was an Associate Professor Emeritus of Library Science at Syracuse University. Upon her death, she bequeathed an endowment to support deserving library science students at Syracuse University.
Professor Van Hoesen’s vision for her fund was that it would be a continuing resource available to SU library science students in perpetuity. Funds are available to students in a time of need, and are “paid back” by that student (with no interest or penalties) for the benefit of future students. She was advocating the “pay it forward” philosophy 40 years ago, before it came into vogue! Dr. Van Hoesen’s generosity has helped librarians to complete their degrees since 1980. Dr. Van Hoesen’s papers are held by the Syracuse University Archives.
To Donate, make check payable to Syracuse University
Memo: Van Hoesen Fund
Suzanne Preate, Treasurer
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse NY 13244-2010